Sunday, May 8, 2016

Blessed Spring

This year I have absolutely RELISHED springtime. The flowers seem brighter and more beautiful this year than in years past. I guess that's how it feels after an especially long, wet, and gray winter.

On one of the first really nice days this spring we went to the waterfront and had a picnic lunch. I rode the bus with Clara and met Ben and the older kids there, who arrived on bicycle. Tommy biked about 10 miles that day. He was absolutely exhausted, but happy as a clam! It was so great to get out and enjoy Portland again. It was right after St. Patrick's Day. We saw a few different groups of people all dressed in funny green outfits running along the path. I have no idea what they were doing (it appeared to be some kind of race), but I just laughed and felt so happy to embrace the uniqueness of my fellow Portlanders.
I miss being able to ride my bike with the kids (since Clara can't ride until she is 10 months old or so), but I have loved taking simple walks around our neighborhood. We have explored every street and know exactly where to find the best iris, rhododendrons, daffodils, tulips, roses, and azaleas. We know where the cherry tress and the dogwoods are. We have even noticed the blossoms on the chestnut trees this year. My kids know where to find the best mint and rosemary bushes in case they want a little snack. I don't know much about plants, but it has been delightful this year sharing what I do know with my kids.

The cherry blossoms were just exquisite this year. They bloomed full and pink and bright. Then it got windy one day and they blanketed everything in a terrific whirlwind of pink snow.
Since Clara sleeps a lot during the day it has been difficult to get outside as much as we used to. She only lasts a couple of hours between naps. We have adjusted and try to go for a walk to the park in the morning before school starts or a walk between naps. Sometimes after her afternoon nap we pack up and run errands or go to the park. We stay a lot closer to home now than we did before she was born, but that's OK. It's nice to get to know our neighborhood so well and really enjoy it before we move.

Several of our neighbors have these terrific tree swings. Rope swings and little libraries in their front yard. We always take advantage of them as we walk.
One afternoon I felt like we got caught in an episode of Portlandia. The kids and I were walking around, buckets in hand, gathering flowers, sticks, and rocks. Three twenty-somethings dressed in railroad engineer overalls approached us and explained that they were part of a new art institute on Hawthorne. They said they were gathering samples from the neighborhood for the art display. I didn't understand what they were talking about. They asked Tommy what his favorite thing about the neighborhood is and after some hesitation he said, "The blossoms." They handed him a little plastic baggie and asked if he would mind gathering some blossoms to put on display at their art space. He gathered a few leaves, twigs, and pulled some grass. Lily gathered a few handfuls of blossoms for her baggie. They labeled the bags "Tommy's Nature Collection" and "Blossoms Gathered By Lily". Then they walked off. As we turned down another street I saw them rummaging through a box of junk someone left on the corner. (That's how people in Portland get rid of their stuff. Apparently walking it to the Goodwill is just too far.)
Later that same day I just happened to be on Hawthorne with my friend, Michelle, and we stopped in the art institute to see what it was all about. It's a neighborhood bar founded by artists with a dedicated art space. They were excited to see me again and showed me where they had already displayed the kids' art samples. They showed me around the space and pointed out all the different samples they had gathered from the neighborhood: some old speakers, a board from someone's fence, a block of chipped cement, some old cassette tapes, several nature samples in baggies. Wow. Just wow. I have to admit that it was pretty cool, but it was just so Portland. SO PORTLAND.
We got to go to the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden when my mom was here in April. I'll write more about her trip next time. For now, just enjoy this picture of my little fairies in their magical garden. I wasn't kidding about the beautiful spring we have been enjoying this year.
Oh yeah, in other news, we are definitely moving this summer. Hopefully not far from where we are now and hopefully to a place with another bedroom and a backyard. We are doing fine in our apartment, but it will be nice to have a bedroom for the baby. Right now she sleeps in the living room at night, right alongside all three of our bikes. We have some plans cooking that we'll share when things become official!

Lastly, here is a video of Clara enjoying her first taste of fresh apple. She couldn't get enough! She will be so excited to eat solid food in another month or so.

No comments: