Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Silent Night (but not really)

We are so excited to announce the birth of our baby girl, Lillian Eve Chatterton.  She was born Christmas Eve at about 9:30 pm weighing 8 lbs. 9 oz.  We were so happy to have such a petite little girl:)  Lily was 21 inches long, 1 inch shorter than Tommy was, and more than 2 pounds lighter.  She is beautiful with lots of dark hair and petite little features.  She's a fantastic eater and a great sleeper so far.  We are so blessed to have her in our lives.

She was born safely and quickly at home, under the watchful eye of our skilled midwife, Karen Maschue.  I will write her birth story later when I get a few minutes, but for now I just wanted to post some pictures of her.  Tommy loves her so much.  He has been such a helpful big brother, always willing to get diapers or wipes for the baby.  He even filled up my peri bottle for me this morning:)  He is happy to have a little sister and he has been very gentle and sweet with her.

It was amazing and special to have a baby on Christmas Eve.  I felt such a kinship with Mary and gained a new understanding of what she went through that night.  The lyrics to "Silent Night" have echoed in my head every time I hold my baby.

We named her after my great-grandmother, Lillian.  She was a strong and charitable woman who had a great sense of humor.  Her favorite song was "Silent Night", which makes the birth of our baby even more meaningful.  My grandma loved "Silent Night" so much that we sang it at her July funeral.  I have no doubt she was watching over me and my baby as we introduced a new Lily into the world.

Her middle name changed from our original plan since she was born on Christmas Eve.  On Saturday afternoon when it was pretty clear we were going to have the baby that day Ben suggested we change her middle name to Eve, another strong and faithful woman, and significant because of her birthday.  I loved it immediately.

So here are a few pictures and a video of our little girl.  I will write her birth story as soon as I get the clear head and some time to do it:)  Thank you to our birth team, Karen, Kristy, and Kam, who helped us welcome our baby into the world, and who took great care of Tommy while we did it.  Thank you also to all of the friends who have watched or are going to watch Tommy this week, as well as all those who have brought in meals, texted, called, emailed, and Facebooked warm wishes for our family.  We love you all and we hope you had a joyous Christmas.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

You guys are so cute!! Love the name and seeing your cute little family. Tommy is so sweet with her. Congratulations again!

Renae said...

I'm so glad everything went well! Can't wait to meet her!

SkyBluePink said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and I am so glad that she arrived without complications. I can't wait to read more about her birth story and to see more pictures! Love you!

Unknown said...

this is so so sweet. Thank you for sharing. I love her name and the day of her birth and her middle name. I love the significance of it all. I am really looking forward to hearing her birth story.

Jenny Allen said...

That is SO special. I love the name story. Love you tons. Good luck with the next few weeks. Little girls are precious.

Andrea Johnson said...

I just love you! Congratulations on your little girl, and your new special memories with Christmas. I'd love to chat with your when life settles down a little at your house.

krebscout said...

This is perfect.

Jen said...

Congrats! What a special birthday! We hope things keep going well for you four! She is beautiful.

Talina said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read the story of your home birth!