Saturday, February 22, 2014

Our First Week

Living in a tiny space is totally awesome. Our family is thriving in our new apartment.

When we were getting ready to move I was most worried about not having a backyard anymore. I do miss it, but we live so close to everything it really hasn't been an issue. We are outside everyday going to the park or the church or the store or the Swap 'n' Play. The kids bike everywhere in this little procession that makes my heart happy.
Our neighborhood park is about two blocks away. It's a real neighborhood park where the whole neighborhood gathers. It's busy all the time with people walking their dogs and playing with their kids. There is such a strong sense of community here that I have never experienced before. I love it.
We live in a tiny space, but we use every inch of that space. Surprisingly, I don't feel cramped. I don't know how that is possible, but it's true. We have everything we need within arm's reach. It's nice not to have to run upstairs to grab a diaper or spend 15 minutes rounding up all our bike gear from the backyard. It's all right there, easy to access, quick to grab.
This weekend I am in Utah while Ben and the kids play in Portland. I am here for less than 36 hours, just long enough to see my brother's family take their two babies to the temple. I bused/maxed myself to the airport last night after dark. As I rode the bus down Hawthorne it struck me that we really live in the city. The traffic, the bright lights, the people out on a Friday night. We are really doing this, and, y'know, I'm actually kind of liking it.
The reason I came to Utah for the weekend. Aren't they beautiful?

No comments: