Friday, September 30, 2011

Midwife Crisis

I am re-watching the documentary The Business of Being Born this week with my husband and it has made me feel even better about my decision to have this next baby at home with a midwife.  I thought I'd write a few thoughts while they are fresh on my mind. 

I don't want anyone to misunderstand my purpose in writing this post. I am not trying to win anyone over to my way of thinking. I'm not even trying to persuade people to agree with me. It's just that when I tell people that we are planning a homebirth with a midwife an awkward silence usually follows. So, in order to answer some questions that I know people have, but are too afraid to ask, and to put your mind at ease about my sanity, I thought I would write a little post about this decision. Again, I'm not trying to get you to agree with me. I'm just trying to help you understand why a relatively sane person would want to have their baby at home in this day and age.

Let's rewind a couple of years, back when I was pregnant with Tommy. We had an awesome OB whose office was literally a five minute drive from our apartment in Mesa. The hospital was just as close. I was going to graduate school at ASU at the time, so I had really amazing student health insurance. As part of my job, the school paid my insurance premiums and it included really good maternity coverage. So we were set and everything worked out beautifully. I loved our OB and I had a decent experience delivering Tommy at the hospital. It wasn't perfect, but my complaints are quite minimal. Overall, we were treated well and we felt like we were in good hands. If we were in that same situation again I'm sure we would probably be visiting the same OB and delivering at the same hospital with this little one.

But, life has changed quite a bit since then. We moved about an hour away from Mesa and I quit going to school so I could stay home and raise Tommy. We had to get new insurance and I had to find a new doctor. I started calling around to different insurance companies about 18 months ago to find out about getting maternity coverage. What I found was actually really disappointing. I won't go into all the details, but basically it wasn't worth it to get maternity coverage. In all cases, paying the premiums, copays, and deductibles turned out to be thousands of dollars more than if I had the baby in the hospital without insurance and paid cash. The option to have the baby in the hospital without insurance was on the table, but my doctor said it would be about $7,000 for that. So I kept looking for another option.

It was about this same time that I found out that two of my good friends from Utah were planning home births. They are both people I have always loved and admired, people who are educated and successful. I stalked their blogs and talked to one of them after she successfully delivered her son at home. I was completely enamored by the idea of having a baby at home, though I have to admit that at first I thought they were pretty crazy. I started reading books and I watched The Business of Being Born, which I recommend to everyone who is having a baby in America. The more I learned the more I realized how little control I actually had during my birth with Tommy. I am fortunate that I had a capable doctor who wasn't afraid to deliver a nearly 11 pound baby. I realized that I had probably come very close to having an unnecessary c-section and that a lot of the problems I had during and after the birth were because of the medical interventions that were done (epidural, episiotomy, delivery of Tommy with a fancy plunger). I'll give you a few examples:
  • During labor Tommy's heartbeat slowed down after my contractions, which can be really dangerous. The nurses had me turn on my side and gave my oxygen and his heartbeat returned to normal within a few minutes. I just found out that mothers with epidurals often run into this situation because the epidural makes your blood pressure go down, which then affects the baby's heartbeat. Pretty scary.
  • I just didn't like the way the epidural made me feel.  Because it lowered my already-low blood pressure, I got dizzy and light headed, so I had to lie all the way back in the bed the whole time I was in labor.  As the epidural wore off my whole body became really itchy and they told me the epidural often does that. 
  • While I was pushing Tommy got "stuck". I know a lot of people think that's just because he was so huge, but his head wasn't actually that big. He got stuck because his head was turned a little to the side and so he couldn't slip out like he should. I pushed for 2 1/2 hours, a lot of that in vain while the nurses called and waited for the doctor to come do the episiotomy and vacuum extraction. If I had not had an epidural and if I had a midwife I could have changed positions or done some movements to get him to change positions. It could have saved me a lot of time and pain that I spent pushing (I say pain because I could feel the contractions by then, plus the longer one pushes, the longer the recovery often is).
  • I had a really long recovery, probably due to all the interventions. My body got really beat up during the delivery with all the pushing, episiotomy, and the big plunger.
  • I really struggled with postpartum depression. Not anything really serious or debilitating, but it was like I lived in a dark cloud for several months following Tommy's birth. I have read several times that the rate of postpartum depression rises for every medical intervention a women has during labor and delivery. Since I know I am prone to that, I want to decrease my chances of going through it again by having little to no medical intervention this time around.
Anyway, all of this came together some how and I started researching homebirth and midwives in Phoenix. I got some referrals from a friend and started getting really excited. But, the real confirmation that a midwife is what I want and need this time around came in March this year when I had a miscarriage. It was devastating. Naturally, we called my OB and scheduled an appointment for the following week. It was just what one would expect when calling a doctor's office. The staff asked for my name and why I needed to come in and scheduled an appointment with the doctor. It was very formal and cold, the way it is in a doctor's office. I was on the verge of tears as I made the appointment (I was basically on the verge of tears all the time for a couple of weeks). I felt myself yearning to be taken care of, not just checked out by a doctor who doesn't know my name. So I called a midwife a few days later and talked to her about what I needed to do. It was like night and day.

The midwife I talked to was so empathetic and patient as I sobbed on the phone and told her about what happened. She comforted me and told me what to do next. She told me what symptoms to watch for that would necessitate a trip to the hospital. She inspired me to have confidence in my own body and to trust what I was feeling, both physically and emotionally. It felt amazing to be able to talk to a compassionate professional without having to wade through an office staff first.  Needless to say, I canceled the appointment with my OB and got pregnant again immediately.

After that experience I was absolutely convinced that I wanted a midwife to deliver my next baby. When I got pregnant we interviewed a couple of midwives and found one that we love. I feel so spoiled. My midwife does all of my prenatal visits at our home and she never sends an assistant or a substitute. She usually stays for about an hour, or as long as it takes to answer all of my questions.  I feel like she really knows and cares about me and my family.  Sometimes we just chat and laugh.  I always feel like I am her most important client and I never feel like she is just trying to go through the motions with me so she can get on her way to see somebody else.  I'll deliver the baby at home. If there is a problem there is a hospital about five minutes away that we can get to quickly.

Here is a list of great resources I would highly recommend to anyone thinking about having a baby without an epidural:

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think your crazy. I think your smart and brave. I wish I could have a home birth. I can't wait to hear how it all goes.

*Meg Larsen* said...

Hooray for you! My story with baby #1 was very similar to yours (with a few more serious after delivery complications) and the more I researched the more I realized that having more control over my birth experience--and especially being able to move around as I needed to--had the potential to change everything. I was still worried about hemorrhaging again so I went with a hospital and an OB but I fought for what I felt was best for me AND my baby.

It was a wonderful experience and night and day compared to my first. I am positive your second time around will be exponentially better! I'm not pregnant now but planning for it, and thinking about the birthing center in downtown phoenix. I definitely want a midwife and am open to idea of homebirth if I decide that's the best fit.

if you don't mind me asking, which midwife did you end up choosing?

angie and tyler said...

This is Angie Daniel
Crystal, i'm happy our husbands are getting along great. I didn't know you had PPD after Tommy. I had an extremely severe case after David. It took until he was about 15 months to start feeling a bit normal again. i also had 3 miscarriages before getting pregnant with David. 2 were far along enough to warrant a hospital trip and procedure. Your story hit home for me. I know those feelings all too well. I guess I just wanted you to know i can relate

Emily said...

Oh, Crystal, you're going to love it.

I'm the oldest of eight kids, and us first two were born in hospitals, but after that my mom had home births with a midwife.

We all loved my mom's midwife. She was wonderful. The whole homebirth experience was really neat. It's totally different than at a hospital--at home it all just seems so natural, and it's very comfortable.

There's this really old book that my mom had called "Your Amazing Newborn" (I think), and I remember it shows that babies have really cool reflexes after they're born. Like, they do a stepping reflex, and they will crawl up to nurse. It's pretty cool stuff. But, they don't do it when they're born a little drugged up, which happens when the mom has drugs during labor.

When Jeff and I have a kid, it will definitely be with a midwife, and probably at home. Our insurance coverage looks like it will be the opposite--we could basically have kids for free if we wanted a hospital birth. But we don't. So we're going to pay the midwife expenses out of pocket instead.

Lisa said...

Go you!! I hope everything goes well--I studied to be a doula at one point in my life, I'm sure this will be a great experience for you guys!! Enjoy!!

Crystal said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I really appreciate hearing what you have to say:)

krebscout said...

Hm. As I've had one c-section, I don't think a home-birth is wise for me, but I am wondering about going drug-free next time. For me, I could feel a heck of a lot despite multiple epidural doses. For that and other reasons, I think I may react strangely to anesthesia. Or I'm just really wimpy. In any case, did you really not feel "pain" with the epidural? Or rather, how much pain did you feel? Can I ask that?

Crystal said...

Summer, I think it really depends on both the person receiving and the person administering the epidural. They have to stick you in the exact right spot to make you go all the way numb. The entire time I had the epidural I could still feel my toes and I could move my legs and feet. After maybe 7 hours it started to wear off and I could feel a lot of pain and discomfort in my back. At that point I called the anesthesiologist and he gave me a strong narcotic that allowed me to sleep for about an hour. But by the time I was pushing the epidural had worn off enough that it felt better to push than to just sit there during the contractions. It was bad enough that I was almost in tears and begged them to give me more drugs because I didn't think I could keep going. That being said, even after it had worn off quite a bit it definitely took the edge off the pain. I hear of some people that can't feel a thing the entire time, but that wasn't my experience. Maybe I react strangely to anesthesia, too:)

Lauren said...

I'm so excited for you and that choice! I tried to have a home birth with Carson, but ended up having a csection for various reasons-- it was (and still is) so disappointing to me to have the complete opposite experience... and ended with some PPD as well that I was so deep in I didn't even realize it til I was better! I hope that this birth is all that you hope for. I'm sure your midwife will take great care of you-- who are you using??

Crystal said...

Lauren, I really want to talk to you about your experience. We have hired Karen Maschue and we love her. Her website is www.straymondshomebirthing.com

Krista T said...

Hey Crystal! Being a labor and delivery nurse for the past 6 years, I have to comment... Bear with me. :)

I LOVE unmedicated births, especially when the woman is prepared in advance (i.e. has taken courses in natural childbirth or hypnobirthing, or even just read books and practiced a lot). At one point I was planning to go back to school for midwifery, but my lifestyle interfered (travel, vacations and love of NOT working night shifts). I was the nurse for Tara's second birth and helped her go natural and it was such an awesome experience to be a part of one of my best friend's natural deliveries.

I have also been a part of some really intense cases of shoulder dystocia, where the baby's head delivers, but the shoulders are stuck. This is a VERY emergent situation in which being at a hospital, having a obstetrician and a operating room nearby is vital. I have seen shoulder dystocias happen both to women with and without epidurals.

With your history of having a nearly 11 pound baby, your risk for shoulder dystocia is pretty high. Yes, your pelvis is "proven" to be able to deliver that big of a baby, but that was with a vacuum extraction, right?

Where you live, can midwives deliver at hospitals with a doctor on hand to back them up if needed? I know insurance is a factor, but have you considered delivering at the hospital with a midwife but without an epidural? A five minute drive to the hospital could feel like a lifetime in an emergent situation.

I just needed to give you one more view from the other side so you can make a great, informed decision. I know that you will do what is best for you, your family and your baby. I hope that wherever you end up delivering, everything goes well and that you and your baby are healthy and happy! Good luck! Love, Krista

Crystal said...

Hey Krista, thanks for the perspective. I really value your thoughts, especially given your experience as an L&D Nurse. I wish you could be my nurse:)