Saturday, January 7, 2012

Twilight Zone

The funny thing about having a baby is that it forces me to rest and to stay inside a whole lot more than I am used to.  I didn't venture outside of my bedroom for two days following Lily's birth and it took another day after that for me to make the trek down our stairs.  Two days later I went outside for the first time.  It's such an odd feeling that everything in my life can change dramatically while the rest of the world hardly notices.  When I went on my first car ride nearly a week after Lily's birth I was shocked to see that the same stores were in the same places, the parks we frequent were still there, and most people I saw wished me a Happy New Year without saying anything about my new baby.  It all just seemed so...normal.

I made a list of things to get done before Christmas and posted it on my fridge.  I made this list on the 23rd. Lily was born the 24th.  Nearly a week after she was born I stood in front of my fridge, amused as I read the list.  It seemed like a different person had made that list in a different life.  I only got about half of the items crossed off the list before labor really set in.  I feel sad that we didn't get to do some of the items on the list, like look at Christmas lights and make our traditional Christmas breakfast casserole.  Oh well.  We have next Christmas to look forward to, and we got a pretty awesome Christmas present this year in exchange for not crossing everything off the list.

Do you ever feel this way?  When something monumental happens in your life and you feel like the world should stop and at least acknowledge the fact that your universe has changed, but it doesn't.  Below is how my world has changed.  Isn't she a beauty?

3 comments:

Andrea Johnson said...

Yes! I feel the same way. The week Parker was born was supposedly record low temperatures for Oregon. I didn't even notice, and I didn't care. The doctors and nurses would all mention it upon arival to my room to make small chat, but I was in another universe. I didn't care it was 17 degrees the night Parker was born. Thanksgiving was 2 days later, and I had a leftover plate from the ward for my dinner... at my kitchen table. Thanksgiving was not important, but the brand new life I got to love and care for was!

LJ said...

Adam and I talked about having this same feeling, but with seeing people after their wedding night.

"Wait, doesn't sex make you different?"

ALSO. We are wanting to come and bring you food-gifts and nibble on Lily. Please let me know when is a good time this week.

Joel & Megan said...

She's beautiful!!! And I know what you mean. A life changing event or extremely tragic thing will happen in my life and of course, really the world marches on thought my world feels like it is at a stand still trying to rebuild. But overall, it just takes one day at a time. I am glad to see your little girl is here, happy and healthy! :) Yay!